30 MW Bagasse Based Co-generation Power
Gangakhed Sugar & Energy Limited
is an Integrated Cane Processing Plant (ICPP) located in the cane surplus district of Parbhani, Maharashtra. The Company’s ICPP boasts of a cane crushing capacity of 6000 TCD with two roller mill technology which enables it to produce 30 MW of co-generation power plant as against an industry average of 24 MW. Its 30 MW co-generation plant with 110 ata Pressure boiler also utilizes surplus bagasse from nearby sugar mills, biomass and agro waste.
High End Technology
GSEL adopted energy optimizing devices to maximize surplus energy from bagasse. The by-products of the process, namely molasses and bagasse are used in distillery to manufacture ethanol and as fuel for the boilers of co-generation plant respectively. Ethanol Plant is a zero discharge plant having its own 1.8 MW co-generation plant. Investments have also been made in upgrading existing technology to avail of benefits like lower steam consumption, reduced moisture content and improved quality. The company has installed a high pressure boiler enabling it produce 30 MW co-generation. Excess generated electricity is supplied to the grid.
Strong farmer relations
GSEL recognizes the importance of a strong relationship with its farmers. Efforts are made towards providing them with financial assistance, technological support, seeds, fertilizer and educating them about good breed of cane. This has resulted in acquiring more than 25,000 hectare of lands owned by the farmers, thus developing a trustworthy association with them. The Company is proactive in investing in the local farming community. A drip irrigation program and an innovative satellite mapping system have been put in place to improve quality of the crop productivity. The Company has also made efforts to include the farmers as stakeholders of the Company; currently more than 10,000 farmers are stakeholders. Gangakhed’s efforts to continually strengthen its relationship with the farmers ensure an uninterrupted supply of raw material.
On the occasion of World Environment Day, tree plantation drives are carried out in the nearby areas on 5th June every Year.
- Awareness among farmers: Special tours for farmers of our area are organized to get them acquainted about smart farming and latest technology up gradation techniques.
- Drinking Water and its availability: We ensure availability and supply of drinking water to people of Gangakhed and the other nearby villages every year free of cost from our own tankers. More than 100 bore wells have been adopted by GSEPL in the most rain affected area. All the bore wells are kept ready and in service by providing all pipeline fittings, motors and its pumps.
- During the summer season, drinking water points are made available at special public places like Bus Stand, Railway station, Market area etc.
- Infrastructural development: In Order to eliminate Rural Transportation problem of farmers, we have developed 50 KMS Roads and other infrastructure within Gangakhed Sugar factory Area as well as area within three talukas under “PANAND MUKATA SCHEME” from our own funds. Almost all small villages are connected to the main roads approaching to the district as well as Tehsil places.
- Financial Support: To strengthen the financial condition of cane harvesting workers, we have distributed Mini Tractors to them so as to give them an opportunity to be a cane supplier and transporter.
- Providing easy loan facility and lowest EMI to the needy farmers, traders and SHG through M/s Gangakhed Multi State Co-operative Bank Ltd. priority is given to the youth to make them financially stable and help them in being young entrepreneur.
- Imparting quality Education: It is the dream to provide quality education to the students of rural area to transform their lives. By imparting quality education and preparing them for public service to become an IAS, we have started taking the responsibility of bringing bright students in the administration field. Hence we started a CBSE school in rural area.
- Skill Development and Multi-tasking: To develop various skills among youth, skill development program has been developed and implemented through Industrial Training Center. Also on job training program is implemented throughout the year for the students of Industrial Training Institutes. Placement Cell has also been activated to generate Jobs for skilled student.
We organize a health checkup campaign on 12th August every year. This massive campaign is totally free of cost, with more than 8000 patients getting benefited.
- Securing our Culture: In all the cultural programs and festival that are organized, we provide free drinking water from our own tankers to all devotees and pilgrims.
- School a dream to come true: We organize “SAKHAR SHALA” at factory site every year, which is a new concept of providing School for children’s of Cane Harvesting workers so as to maintain the consistency in their schooling and having high quality education.
- Special efforts have been taken to lay down the foundation stone as well as landscaping for the statue of the Great Indian idol Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar at Parli Railway Station, Maharashtra.
- One step towards social reform: Organized Grand Celebration of Golden jubilee year of Saint Motiram Maharaj. On this occasion all the devotees, reformers, pilgrims of Parbhani district (Maharashtra) had been invited and honored by offering special memento.
- Social responsibility: Volunteer in contributing to the construction of various temples like Late Shri Saint Sopanakaka, Saint Janabai, etc. the great Saints of Maharashtra at Gangakhed. Also we provide food & meals every year to all devotees coming to various holy places.
- Providing own ambulance facility for emergency services to all needy and poor/common people of Gangakhed taluka and to the people of nearby approaching area. Also, providing own fire extinguisher vehicle for emergency services to all the disaster places.
Scanty Rain fall and Steps taken by GSEL
This is the third consecutive year of drought in Marathwada region in Maharashtra, each one more acute than the previous. The region normally receives around 780mm of rainfall during monsoon. The number has dwindled to 259mm this season. This is the worst drought in Marathwada’s history. The cumulative impact of 3 consecutive droughts along with untimely rain, hailstorm and this season’s dry run has ensured farmers are completely destitute.
To avoid the scarcity of water we tried to recover water present in sugar cane. We obtained it in the form of condensate having 95⁰C. The heat also utilized for heating the raw juice where we got the condensate temperature up to 55⁰C which is further treated and sent to cooling tower for further temperature drop and after cooling, we used this water for the process as well as for cooling tower as makeup water. Also this water has been used for gardening purpose. Almost 2000 CMD (cubic meter per day) excess condensate has been recovered. Due to this efforts we could bring down our water requirement from 4000 CMD to 1500 CMD.
Water Conservation: Started special movement of “GANGAKHED PATTERN JALASANDHARN BANDHARA” for enhancing the grounds for farming and also built up BANDHARA (or small dams for storage of water) in different Villages. We have built a total of 138 Cement Nala Bandhara (CNBs) covering an area of 650 hectares while also providing 198 drip sets to farmers across 2 villages.